Hemi Powered 1952 Allard K2 Roadster
- Rare example equipped with a Chrysler Hemi from new!
- One of the only K2's with Allards side mounted spare
- Vintage race eligible
Syndney Allard was a race driver that evolved into a successful race car builder. In the 1930's Allard created a few Ford powered specials for British trials competitions, some with Lincoln engines and some with split-axle independent front suspension developed by Leslie Ballamy. During World War II, Allard's garage built Ford powered vehicles for the British forces leaving him with a surplus of parts and no more government contracts after the war.
In 1946 Allard introduced the K1 which was a 2 seater on a box sectioned frame, transverse leaf spring, and Ballamy's split front axle. Either Ford or Mercury flathead V-8 power was available. Light and powerful, the K1 proved to be a successful creation. It was succeeded by the J1, a shortened K1 intended for trials and sprints, and a four-seater, the M1.
The J1 evolved into the J2, and the K1 evolved to a K2 version in 1950. The aluminum body was redesigned, adopting a sleeker look with a Healey-inspired grille. The Ballamy front suspension was changed from leaf springs to coils, and De Dion rear suspension was optional, as were wire wheels. Although normally built with Ford or Mercury flathead V-8s, K2s could be ordered to accept more powerful engines, usually installed at destination prior to delivery.
Most Allards exported to the United States were shipped to R/P Imported Motor Car Company in New York City, where engines were installed. They were then sent to dealers, like Max Hoffman in Manhattan. This car, however, was sent directly to Jack Pry in Washington, D.C. Pry was one of the early dealers of imported cars located in Washington D.C., dealing with makes such as Rolls-Royce, Jaguar, and Rootes Group cars. He later became the major Volkswagen dealer in the area.
A total of 18 Allard K2's were destined for the United States in 1952 and this car, chassis number 91K-3017 was constructed in left-hand drive form and outfitted for a Chrysler Hemi engine, to be fitted in the U.S. Equipped with a De Dion rear axle, it was originally painted in Ivory color, with black fenders and wire wheels. Upholstery was black with ivory piping, according to the build sheet.
In addition to being a car dealer, Pry was active in SCCA competition during the period 1952–1955, mostly with Jaguar, but he very well could have raced this car as well. Owners following Pry included Fred Asch Jr., Lorene Altemus, Clarence Tasadine, and Randy Lenz, according to Colin Warnes of the Allard Registry.
Lenz had the car completely restored by Automotive Restorations in Stratford, Connecticut around 25 years ago but it still shows very well today. At restoration, the original Ford three-speed transmission was replaced with a four-speed Muncie, but the Chrysler engine is original to the car and in its original configuration. After its restoration it was shown at the Greenwich Concours d'Elegance as well as the Monterey Historics in California where it was received very well. Only 119 K2's were built in total and this car is one of the best with a great restoration and an even better provenance. Ready to be driven leisurely, vintage raced or shown. Contact us today for more information about this absolute rocket for the road!