1948 Willys Jeepster
Following World War II, Willys decided to resume its civilian car production by releasing a series of Jeep-based vehicles called the "Jeepster." This was a smart move on their part as it really appealed to the returning GI's who were proudly reminded of the MB Jeeps used during the war. This course of action set Willys apart from most other automobile manufacturers, who instead simply picked up where they had left off in 1941. The two-door Jeepster Phaeton, introduced in 1948, was designed by Brooks Stevens during the war and built using the same chassis as the Jeep station wagon. Even with an unmistakably Jeep front end, its styling was sporty, with such design cues as cut down upper edges on the doors and a Vee windscreen that gave it a sports car feel yet keeping the Jeep spirit. Under the hood they are powered by the trusty Willys four cylinder flathead engine that the returning GIs were already in tune with. These Jeepsters are incredibly fun for summer driving especially for taking to the beach.